Skip to content

Letter to Landlord Demanding Return of Security Deposit (Oklahoma)

Why would you use this letter?

  • Your landlord is wrongfully delaying return of a security deposit on a residential lease in Oklahoma.
  • You’ve done your part, the lease is over, and you still don’t have your deposit back.
  • You don’t want to spend lots of money on an attorney, but you need a strong legal demand letter.
  • You want the process to be fast and easy. (It’s an automated document.)
  • You need appropriate legal citations to Oklahoma law for return of a deposit.
  • You need instant access to use and send the letter. No waiting around.

It’s critical to make an official written demand quickly.

If if you don’t make a timely written demand, the landlord could actually be allowed to keep the deposit!

Pursuant to 41 Okla. Stat. § 115:

“Upon termination of the tenancy, any security deposit held by the landlord may be applied to the payment of accrued rent and the amount of damages which the landlord has suffered by reason of the tenant’s noncompliance with this act and the rental agreement, all as itemized by the landlord in a written statement delivered by mail to be by return receipt requested and to be signed for by any person of statutory service age at such address or in person to the tenant if he can reasonably be found. If the landlord proposes to retain any portion of the security deposit for rent, damages or other legally allowable charges under the provisions of this act or the rental agreement, the landlord shall return the balance of the security deposit without interest to the tenant within forty-five (45) days after the termination of tenancy, delivery of possession and written demand by the tenant…. If the tenant does not make such written demand of such deposit within six (6) months after termination of the tenancy, the deposit reverts to the landlord in consideration of the costs and burden of maintaining the escrow account, and the interest of the tenant in that deposit terminates at that time.”

See 41 Okla. Stat. § 115

The important thing about this statute is that the tenant must make an official written demand for return of the deposit in order to impose a 45 day deadline on the landlord. Amazingly, if the tenant fails to make a written demand within 6 months after the lease ends, then the landlord actually gets to keep the deposit!

So, if the landlord doesn’t return the deposit promptly, it’s critical that the tenant make an official written demand.

This letter is the perfect solution to make an official written demand, with appropriate legal citations, using a quick and easy automated document.

How does it work?

  1. Use our automated document builder to create your letter.
  2. Download the Word document and edit as necessary.
  3. Sign and send the letter to your landlord.


  • This letter allows a tenant to easily make a professionally written demand to the landlord for return of a security deposit.
  • The letter relies on the Oklahoma Landlord Tenant Act, including appropriate legal citations.
  • The letter prevents the landlord from keeping the deposit permanently due to tenant’s failure to make a demand within 6 months.
  • This is an official legal notice written in a professional tone and formatted for easy sending.
  • You will answer a series of questions designed to help you fill out the letter accurately. You will then download, review, and adjust the letter as necessary before signing it.
  • You will download the agreement as a Word document and then further customize to your situation if necessary.
  • This is a legal Product, not a legal Service. See our Terms & Conditions on the difference between a legal Product and a legal Service.

No attorney client relationship.

Document automation is very helpful, but it’s never perfect. You are responsible for reviewing this document, correcting it, customizing it as necessary, and using it appropriately. Usage of this document and the associated workflow does NOT create an attorney-client relationship with Jones Property Law. You must contact and hire an attorney at Jones Property Law to receive advice or legal services in connection with this document.

What if I have questions about the form?

We answer technical support questions for free (problems with payment or the download process). But if you need legal advice about how to use this form, how to interpret this form, or how to resolve your legal issues, then you will need to hire an attorney. In that case, send us a message, and we can either represent you or refer you to an appropriate attorney.